The Brief: Design a temporary live/work structure within the New Forest which will accommodate the artist, Stephen Turner, in residence for a period of one year.
The Aim: To study the littoral – the elusive watery edge of the river between high and low water. The coastal marshland of the New Forest is under constant threat from global warming and erosion.
The Result: ‘The Egg’ is a collaborative project between PAD Studio, project manager – SPUD group and Stephen Turner. Located on the Exbury side of the Beaulieu River this floating wooden pod structure moves up and down with the tide. Built by a local craftsman using age-old boat building techniques, The Egg houses a bed, desk, small stove and wet room, sufficient to allow Stephen to exist in a basic fashion. A life link and interactive webcam enables virtual visitors to follow Stephen’s journey and to engage throughout.
- Winner of LEAF Sustainable Interior of the Year Award 2013
- Shortlisted for LEAF Best Use of Space Award 2013
- Shortlisted for The Wood Awards: Small Project 2013
- Shortlisted for Architects Journal Small Projects Awards 2014
- Shortlisted for AJ Small Projects ‘SustainabilityAward’ 2014